Exposing a 100-year-old brick fireplace

on

We’ve owned our house for 5 years, and I’ve always known there was brick behind the bump out in the living room. After pondering over what condition it was in, I decided to poke a hole and find out!I used a chisel and hammer to made about a 1ft hole. The brick looked good, so I kept at it. Taking plaster off of brick is tedious, and painful if you miss the chisel and hit your hand. It took me about 4 hours to reveal the entire fireplace.I laid down a lot of plastic to catch the dust, and I sealed of the ducts in the room. I even caught most of the plaster in contractor bags, but there is still dust everywhere. Be ready for that!After cleaning up the dust, I was done for the day. The next day, I wiped down the brick with a damp sponge, then got to sealing! I used Behr low luster sealer. Since I didn’t tape, I used a paint brush to apply instead of spraying. That took about 1.5 hours.So happy with the result! I wish I did it 5 years ago. (I also had to change the ceiling light, a story for another day).project pictures via /r/DIY https://ift.tt/3t5WPte

Amazon ad

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *