I want to build a “legal” small home (not tiny house) what am I supposed to be asking my local zoning officer?


I’m a woodworker, and I did renovation/handyman work on the side for years. I’m no expert, but I am an engineer by profession so I’m quite familiar with mechanical design and thermodynamic stuff. E.g. I’m not just Joe-YouTube here. I trust my construction/mechanical aptitude. That’s besides the point though.Anyway, I want to buy a plot of land and build a very small home (~500sqft) for myself (or whatever the minimum sqft code is locally). Plan is to have a permeant foundation.After my best attempts at doing research, (obviously) the recurring answer is “Talk to your local zoning commission/officer”OK.So I schedule a meeting. But what exactly am I supposed to be asking them? They’re not going to tell me how to build a house. I’m in PA and most of the counties/townships use the UCC code. I downloaded the some-300+ page UCC code doc for my district and I plan to sit through it at some point.But basically at a high level let’s assume the plumbing and electrical are to-code. I know how to do that. What should I be looking for in terms of legal “gotchas” in this kind of project? via /r/DIY https://ift.tt/3rww8ws

Amazon ad

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *